Thursday, July 20, 2006

Album Review- Wicked



Wicked (2003 Original Broadway Cast)
16 December, 2003

Rating:



This recording is absolutely fabulous! When I first heard the music, I fell in love with it. This was not one of those shows that had to "grow" on me before I liked it. Idina Menzel and Kristen Chenoworth are perfect for their roles. Joel Grey does a great job as the Wizard, and Carole Shelley played a perfectly wicked Madame Morrible. (Just a little side note, I recently saw Miss Shelley play her role of Madame Morrible again in the Chicago production.) I can't saw that I am completely impressed by Norber Leo Butz as Fiyero, personally I like Kristoffer Cusick better in that role (currently playing in Chicago). The ensemble cast is terrific in this recording and used very well.

Favorite Songs:

"The Wizard and I"- the song really communicates Elphaba's character and personality well. Idina delivers a powerful performance, but this song is much better live!

"What is This Feeling"- very funny song (especially if you have seen it performed live), but even on the recording it delivers the humor well. The girls sound great together.

"Popular"- love this song, but you have GOT to see this one live! It's so funny!

"Defying Gravity"- how can you NOT love this song? So powerful! I especially love Idina's ending. It has become the section to imitate among my students!

"No Good Deed"- THE most POWERFUL number in the entire show! This is the climax as Elphaba "accepts" her role of being "Wicked".

Again, I love all of the songs , these are just a few of my favorites! If you love broadway show albums, you HAVE to get this one!

1 comment:

Abby said...

OH yeah - my ALL TIME FAVORITE musical, Although I haven't been able to see it Live - it's on my list of MUST SEES! I just finished the book, and although it's nothing like the musical in many senses, it's still amazing! I got my sister hooked on it as well, so I'm building up a following! HA!