Thursday, July 20, 2006

Show Review: Seussical


So, it's time for another review. My wife and I just recently saw "Seussical the Musical" performed in a small theater in Warsaw, Indiana. We went on a kind of "research" trip to gather ideas, info, and get a general feel for how the show runs. I was considering this show for our next school musical coming up in February and so I wanted to see in before I made my decision.

Please note that my review here is on the written work of the show, not based on any offical Broadway company performance. I was never able to see the show when it was in NYC or on tour (did it even go on tour?), so this was just a local community theater that really did a nice job with the show. It was performed in a "theater-in-the-round" setting, which I absolutely love! Very intimate and audience friendly environment.

So here are my thoughts on the show. I really loved it! The music has always been enjoyable ever since I bought the CD, but to see it fully played out with costumes, dance, and live theater, was such a treat. We also took my daughter and she REALLY loved it!

I liked the fact that there is room for many "smaller" characters in the grand scheme of the storytelling. Sure, you have main roles like The Cat in the Hat, JoJo, Horton the Elephant, and Gertrude McFuzz . . . but there are plenty of smaller roles that have some solo work and little bit parts of the story. The show incoroporates many of the Dr. Seuss stories that we all grew to love a kids. I really like how everything is connected to one, flowing storyline.

This show has great potential at our school and with our talent . . . so, I am pretty sure we will be gearing up for our own production of "Seussical the Musical" for February 2007. I am really excited about the set, costumes, colors, music, and comedy that we will be able to bring to the stage for our audience. So, very soon it will be full-speed ahead for Seussical!

By the way: A great big Yahoo! for the cast of Seussical at the Wagon Wheel Theatre in Warsaw, Indiana! You guys did a great job!

No comments: